The Importance of a Shower Standing Handle
Have you ever slipped or felt unsteady while taking a shower? You’re not alone. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over 235,000 people are treated in emergency rooms each year due to injuries suffered in the bathroom, many of which are related to slips and falls in the shower.
Fortunately, there is a simple solution that can help prevent these accidents: a shower standing handle. This small accessory can make a big difference in your safety and comfort while showering.
What is a Shower Standing Handle?
A shower standing handle, also known as a shower grab bar or shower safety bar, is a device that can be installed in your shower to provide support and stability while standing. It is typically made of durable materials like stainless steel or plastic, and is designed to withstand the wet and humid conditions of a shower.
There are different types of shower standing handles available, including ones that attach to the wall with screws, suction cups, or adhesive strips. Some are designed to be permanently installed, while others can be easily removed or repositioned as needed.
Why is a Shower Standing Handle Important?
There are several reasons why a shower standing handle is an important accessory for your bathroom:
- Safety: One of the main benefits of a shower standing handle is that it can help prevent slips and falls in the shower. By providing a sturdy grip, it can help you maintain your balance and avoid accidents. This is especially important for people with mobility issues, seniors, or anyone who is at risk of falling.
- Comfort: A shower standing handle can also improve your comfort while showering. By providing a stable support, it can make it easier to stand and move around, reducing strain on your muscles and joints. This can be especially helpful for people with arthritis or other conditions that affect mobility.
- Accessibility: For people with disabilities or limited mobility, a shower standing handle can make the shower more accessible. It can provide a secure grip for people who use wheelchairs or walkers, allowing them to transfer safely in and out of the shower. It can also make it easier for caregivers to assist with bathing.
- Versatility: A shower standing handle can be used for more than just showering. It can also be used as a towel bar or a place to hang washcloths or loofahs. This can help keep your shower organized and reduce clutter.
How to Choose a Shower Standing Handle
If you’re considering adding a shower standing handle to your bathroom, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Installation: Consider how the handle will be installed. Some handles require drilling into the wall, which may not be an option if you’re renting or don’t want to damage your tile. Suction cup or adhesive strip handles are easy to install and remove, but may not be as sturdy as ones that are screwed into the wall.
- Material: Look for a handle made of durable materials like stainless steel or plastic, which can withstand the wet and humid conditions of a shower. Avoid handles made of materials that can rust or corrode over time.
- Size and Placement: Consider the size and placement of the handle. It should be positioned at a height and angle that is comfortable and easy to reach. Make sure it’s in a location that provides support where you need it most.
A shower standing handle may seem like a small accessory, but it can make a big difference in your safety and comfort while showering. By providing a secure grip and stable support, it can help prevent slips and falls, reduce strain on your muscles and joints, and make the shower more accessible for people with disabilities or limited mobility.